Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Roots Before Branches

This is my blog of my abroad experience at the University of Glasgow. I know, I know.  I probably should be studying in some foreign country like France or Capetown (those were my original choices) but I decided to study where William and Kate met (not exactly...they met an hour away at St. Andrews). The University of Glasgow is a great fit for me in all seriousness. They have education classes for undergraduates and I can't take those classes at my university. They also speak English, so I wont be overly out of my comfort zone. Finally, my mom's great-grandmother's family is also from Scotland, so it will be a little like  finding my heritage (which is awesome because I love history).

I am excited and a little nervous to study abroad. It is no secret that I get homesick really easily. I do go to an out of state college but I come home quite often (because I can't stay away from my dog for too long :D) So this will be an adventure.

When I think about living in the UK for a semester I think about rooming with Duchess Catherine, going to class with Hermione Granger, becoming best friends with Mary Crawly, singing with One Direction, or meeting my Mr. Darcy or Captain Wentworth. I know it will probably be nothing like that but a girl can dream, can't she?

So here I go. Off to Scotland. My plane leaves tomorrow and I am more than nervous. I don't want to leave my family and friends (especially Marley, my dog). And on top of that, I hate airplanes and the airport. This could be interesting, seeing that I have not been on a plane by myself for more than two hours, but I am ready to beat my fear. Challenge accepted! Although I am scared for this experience I am excited to partake in many adventures in another country.

I will leave y'all with a cheesy video. I know it's lame but I think it fits my feelings about my abroad experience. It exemplifies my nervousness about leaving home but shows my excitement for something new. I have to remember that change is a good thing.



2 comments:

  1. Lauren--I'm so glad you are going to bring a little bit of Texas to Great Britain!! I know they can use some. I'll be following your crazy Scottish adventures, for sure. Try everything and repeat the things you like--Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shawna. I love your blog too. I've been reading it anxiously awaiting my own abroad experience. I know you are repping our State, that I already miss so much, well.

    ReplyDelete