Thursday, October 4, 2012

"Denver, oh Denver..."

Disclaimer: I am going to be talking about the debate in this post, so I just wanted to say that if I offend anyone I am truly sorry. I am going to try to talk bipartisanly about the debate, but if I slip (because I am really passionate in what I believe in) then I apologize.
Some of my favorite people and I at the Denver Captial
So yesterday was a big day for my home university. On October 3, 2012, the University of Denver held the first presidential debate for the 2012 election. After talking to some of my sisters, I learned that the school was shut down for two days because of the secret service and because of secret service. To me, it reminded me of the way that the England took the week off for the Royal Wedding of Catherine Middleton to Prince William.

Being a part of politics on campus made me really miss home during the debate. My political family at DU are some of my closest friends. Last year one of my favorite times of the week was meeting with them every Tuesday. We were able to bond over our similar philosophies on life. I participated in many fun activities with them such as visiting Denver's capital and being able to debate against the other political group on campus. Our interaction with DU's other political club on campus made me love my club even more. We would have dinner with the other group and discuss political matters, such as women's rights, to prepare for the our DU democrats and DU republicans debate. Again, my political family not only consist of one club but both of the clubs. Being in a political party is  hard for me because I do not like choosing sides. I identify myself as one party but that does not mean that I will completely disregard the other party. I want to hear what they have to say and learn from them on how we can continue the greatness of the United States. Although that is a long background description on my involvement in politics, I feel that is vital to tell you, as my political background shapes the way I viewed the debate.

To kick off the debate, I watched Bill Clinton's speech on President Obama. I am not exaggerating when I say that his speech gave me goosebumps. I loved what he said about affordable education (because I want to go into education reform). He told the audience that he understood how hard it is to pay for higher education because he and Hilary had to take up a loan for law school, making him more relatable to the middle class. He suggested that education, science/technology, and health care are pave the road to a prosperous America. He asked "What kind of country do you want to live in? A kind that celebrates diversity, welcomes immigrants, has open education, and constructive cooperation?" He said that the goal of not raising children in poverty is a bipartisan issue. He added that we should live in an America where something good happens rather than in an America who we hate today. After learning about Scottish nationalism and how people identify a Scotsman against the English, I believe that we should not try and pick out the "other" but that we should be understanding of all people and their identities. Closing Clinton asserted the powerful statement, "It's better if we go forward together... It's your future, go claim it". His speech was so empowering to me as a student. It made me believe that I could go out and do good in the world (which is my goal for my life). It almost left tears in my eyes.

The only critique of his speech that I have is he talked to much about how he tooted his own horn and talked about the success of his own policies enacted when he was president. I also thought his introduction to his speech was interesting. He said that some student had told him that he/she didn't even know if they were going to vote and how he told that student that their voice mattered. This was funny to me because I know for a fact that both political clubs on campus hold voter registration for students so their voices can be heard.

Unfortunately, I couldn't watch a Republican speech for Romney because I went to Ultimate Frisbee. Ultimate Frisbee was awesome! I went with one of my friends from DU. It was about a thirty minute walk from my dorm but it was worth it. We played indoors at a rec center. Unlike my pickup games of Ultimate Frisbee, we did technical drills, such as how to throw a Frisbee, how to defend, and how to move quickly on offence. I felt like I was at softball practice again!

I got back in time to eat dinner, do my homework, and Skype my family all before the debate started. The time difference was very strange. Although the debate was 7 mountain time, it was 2 am on October 4th here in the UK. Two of my flatmates, one from Holland and one from Scotland watched the debate with me. It was exciting to watch the debate with them, to get an outside perceptive of American politics.

First, I thought it was sweet how it Barack and Michelle Obama's 20th wedding anniversary on the day of the debate. Speaking of the first lady, I thought it was weird how they had a coin toss to see who would be introduced first out of the debaters wives. Why are they introduced? They are not even debating? My friends also made me realize that the debate was held in Magness Arena. What about the hockey team? Are they playing right now? Where will the practice? Lastly, I thought it was interesting that they didn't like America because we aren't a welfare state. They have lived in a welfare all their life so they do not know how it is to live anyway else. It made me realize that the world is much larger than they American bubble I live in.

Anyway, the debate was very enlightening. It was very touching to see both Obama and Romney to thank DU for their hospitality. Logistically, I felt the debate was not moderated well. Mitt Romney completed dominated over Obama. As a history major, I compared the debate to the Nixon and JFK presidential debate, the first televised debate in history. From that one debate, one can learn a lot about how body language and manner affect the outcome of the polls. I though Romney had an overbearing demeanor. He kept interrupting Obama and the moderator. Obama, on the other hand, was much more proper in his manner. He did not interrupt (as much) and seemed more on board to talk about his own plans. Both were a bit snarky on their comments though. I think I have learned that debates leave me anxious because of all the name calling and mudslinging. "Why can't we all just get along and bake a cake full of rainbows and smiles and we'd all just eat and be happy" (Mean Girls)

My flatmates left and went to bed about a quarter into the debate. Apparently I fell asleep watching the debate. I woke up this morning, went about my day as usual, and finished the debate tonight. I am so proud to be a Pioneer. Although I was away from home, I still felt apart of the madness, just by being able to name drop and tell people, "Oh yeah. My school is held the first presidential debate for 2012. How has your day been?"  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment