Thursday, November 15, 2012

"Carry on my Wayward Son": An Ode to Supernatural


This post is dedicated to Leah Rosenthal. You are the Dean to my Sam

The next day, I was finally able to skype Clair. I was so excited to skype my best friend (minus Jackson)! Even though we don’t go to the same school anymore, we text each other almost daily. Sadly, I am in the UK and the international cell phone rates aren’t exactly cheap. So it was so good to talk to her. But why am I narrating this part of my life with you? Well Clair’s boyfriend, Brennen, studied in Edinburgh this summer for about a month. Ever since I’ve known Brennen, we have this running joke that we disagree on everything. So the fact that we both pledge allegiance to different Scottish cities is nothing new. But he told me that Glasgow was to industrial and not very pretty while Edinburgh was more touristy and had a better landscape. So in true Barney Stinson fashion, I took that as a challenge to find the idyllic parts of my city. I did not have to go too far.







I took these pictures on my walk back from my education lecture. Unlike usual, the sky was not overcast and leaves were falling. It was picture perfect!

On Saturday, my friend Lauren and I headed out to Edinburgh on the Megabus. Although it was early in the morning and I had stayed up pretty late the night before, Lauren and I talked all the way there! As soon as we got to Edinburgh we stopped at this cute pub right by St. Giles Cathedral. One of the waitresses looked familiar and later I figured out why. Remember when my mom and I went to Arthur’s seat? Well we ran into a mother and daughter from South Africa who told us all of the cool things to do in Edinburgh. The daughter told us that, if we were eating dinner in Edinburgh we should grab dinner at her pub… near a touristy church. We didn’t eat there that night because we went to St. Andrews but its so weird that I would end up eating there eventually. When I first met her, I was this helpless tourist that had no idea what Scotland had to offer me and by the time I saw her again, I was aquainted with and living in Scotland. It was so weird!
St. Giles Cathedral
After lunch, we were supposed to meet our friends that stayed with a friend who lives in the Borders. However, they told us that they hadn’t even left yet. So Lauren and I decided to walk around and see what we could find. And we happened on “The Scottish Whisky Experience”. It was insane. They had a huge gift shop filled with different types of whiskey. If you bought a 10 pound student ticket, you could go on the whiskey experience tour. It reminded me so much of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. First, you got on this ride that took you through the whiskey process. The seat was in a shape of a barrel and they had projections of an Einstein looking guy describing how whiskey was made. I was just waiting for Gene Wilder to pop out of a barrel and start singing about the factory. After the ride was done, we were brought into a room and given an educational whiskey talk. Now I know that Scottish whiskey tastes different wherever it is harvested. We were also given a sample of whichever kind of whiskey we’d like to try. I tried the lowland whiskey, because it supposedly has a flowery taste. I found out that I don’t like whiskey, but the experience is something that I will never forget.
 



I couldn't help myself. This is how I feel about whiskey :D
 Next we went exploring through the city. We got a picture with “William Wallace”, went to the Tartan museum (it wasn’t really a museum, it was just the place where they made tartan), and then went to get a snack a cute coffee shop. By the time we were done with our snacks, it was time to meet the rest of our friends at the hostel.



            The hostel was fine but I had never stayed in one before. It’s kind of a weird concept of sleeping in a room filled with people you don’t know. But we were a party of six, which made things better. My friends were all hungry when they got there, so we ate dinner at a Chinese restaurant by the Haymarket train station. The food tasted good, but it was pricey and they did not have good service. But food for me didn’t matter. I was too excited to go on our ghost tour!


            Our ghost tour met at St. Giles Cathedral, near where we ate lunch earlier that day. The weather was cold and rainy, perfect for a ghost tour. First we went to the underground part of Scotland, where the lesser off would sometimes hide and even live. It was humid and cramped in the caves, but I didn’t feel any supernatural beings. I did get pretty frightened though. Then we went to a graveyard where a suspected poltergeist is. I didn’t feel anything there either. However, the tour company did have someone jump out at us while we were in a tomb and I almost wet myself. I crouched down into a little ball and tried to shield myself from whatever entity jumped out at us. Thank God no one was mad at me for my crazy reaction. The tour ended by telling us the story about Greyfriars Bobby. The story goes when his master died, the dog was so loyal that he stayed by his grave until he died. It was the sweetest story and a comforting way to end our horrifying tour.


After the tour we headed back to our hostel and went to bed. I’ve decided that I probably wouldn’t have minded the hostel if my university rented it out but I don’t think hostels our for me. I don’t want to sound to “posh”. It’s just that every time someone moved, all the bunk beds would move and squeak too. The restrooms were also coed and it wasn’t very pleasant. But it was fine for our group and the time we spent there.

The next morning we got up and went to breakfast (because breakfast was not included in our hostel!) We spent the rest of our time in Edinburgh souvenir shopping and going to Edinburgh Castle. It was a pretty relaxed morning. Then Lauren and I had to leave early to catch our bus. We made it back to Glasgow safe and sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment