Friday, December 14, 2012

My "Roman Holiday"

The next week was pretty average except that I found out that  I could go to Italy with my friends! They had been planning on going for a couple of months but they were coming back on Monday so I thought that I wouldn’t be able to come. However, they were coming back at the beginning of reading week so I found a ticket and was off to Italy.


Our flight left early in the morning , so we left our flat around five in the morning. We tried to take the Subway to the airport, but it was closed. Thankfully, a cab saw us and was able to take us to the airport. He was so nice that he even gave us a discount!

Amsterdam Airport Christmas Tree
Our flight was nice but we had to connect in Amsterdam. At least now I can say that I have been to the Netherlands. Our layover wasn’t bad at all but we had to go through very strict security. Our flight to Italy wasn’t bad but we didn’t have seats together. I ironically sat next to someone from California though. The flight was gorgeous. We flew over the Alps and saw the sunset over the Ocean. It was a great flight.
Alps!

Sunset
We arrived in Italy around four. We took a taxi to our friends flat but our friends (the same ones that visited us for Halloween) thought they were picking us up and taking the train back with us. Thankfully, their flat mate was home. We chatted with her while we waited for our friends. When they got there, they made us spaghetti and meatballs. It tasted so good! Then we went to get Gelato My sorority sister from France also came to visit a friend. It was good to see her. It was a great first night.

The next day, we had a full day of sightseeing. First, we went to get Cappacinos. They were so amazing. You’ve never tasted coffee until you’ve tried Italian coffee. Our first sight seeing stop was where Julius Caesar was murdered. Hilariously, now it is a cat sanctuary. The cats just chill outside. It was so funny. Then we went to a Christmas fair. It was awesome but pouring down rain though so we went inside an amazing Cathedral. It was beautifully carved with many stained glass windows.
Where Julius Caesar was murdered

A cat

The Christmas Fair
Next we went to the Pantheon. It is very pretty but the ceiling was the most amazing part. It was dome shaped but so intricate. Next we went to the Trevi Fountain. It is magnificent! Again, the marble is so intricate that it looks life like. Apparently, it was built to remind the Romans of their wonderful aquifers. (Fun fact: You can drink straight from the fountains in Rome because it comes from their aquifers). After the fountain we made our way to the Spanish steps. They were fun but not amazing. We stopped to get gelato and that was amazing.
DZ at the Pantheon
Pantheon Ceiling
 
Make a wish!

Trevi Fountain

Gelato!

As the afternoon wore on, we went to the Wedding Cake aka The Denchers aka the Urinal in commemeration of Italy’s first King. Many Italians don’t like it because the architects tried to make it in the ancient style and they felt it hypocritical. It is an amazing building though. From there, we made our way to the Colleseum. It was so amazing and looked just like the pictures. We didn’t actually go inside but it was still amazing that it was still standing. After that we went to the Forum. I had to go to the forum because I build it for a 7th grade history project. Exactly like the forum now, my forum crumbled the day before it was due Again, it was amazing because it is still there after all these years! 
The Wedding Cake

The Coleseum

The Forum
After our day of sight seeing we made our way back to the flat and then went out to dinner. Like I have at Momo’s I had Amatritricana. It was amazing of course. Olivia, our friends’ flat mate made us crepes for dessert. They were amazing.

Stephanie, my sorority sister left the next day, but my abroad friends’ friend had come in late that night. That day we went to Vatican City. We meant to get there for the Pope’s blessing but we had just missed him! Still, we were able to see the Vatican. The church is so grand. I can’t give it justice so I will just post pictures.
Vatican City
One of the Amazing Ceilings


My fuzzy picture of the main altar

The Pieta!


After the Vatican we got gelato and just walked around. Rome is such a cultural city so it is amazing to just walk around. We also went to the Christmas fair again and ate a huge donut. It was funny.  For dinner, we went to Fat Cat and I had Margarita Pizza and Tiramisu. The food was good but the company was better.

The next day we had to leave early again. We took the train this time, thought, it was easier to use than I thought. Our flight was good to Amsterdam but our flight to Glasgow was delayed because one of the back windows came lose. They kept us on the run way for about an hour though and it took another hour to go back through security (why, I don’t know) and get on our new plane. It was fine though because we were able to get seats together on the flight.

It was an amazing trip. I would like to thank Aspen, Olivia, Julie, and Cheyenne for letting us stay with them. I would also like to thank Cheyenne for being an amazing tour guide. Lastly, I would like to thank Aspen for being a great sister and friend. Greatest trip abroad!

My blog wouldnt be complete without an ode to Lizzie Mcguire

No comments:

Post a Comment