Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The 44th President of the United States


Note: This was supposed to be after Ireland

The Obama logo
The next night was election night. I was nervous-excited about the election that I told myself that I was going to stay up. I painted my nails Obama-ly and went with Liz, Katy, and Lauren to an American watching party for the election. I had been nervous all day. It’s not that I was vehemently against Mitt Romney running the United States, I would just rather Obama run my  country. The party was good. A lot of the group was from the East Coast, although there were people from California, Portland, and Georgia. The party was liberal leaning, as there was only one Republican. About twenty of us watched ABC news reports on an apple laptop (typical college life). We had hotdogs, chips, mac and cheese, apple pie, and cookie pie. The DU group and I left about 2 in the morning. When I left, Romney was winning.

When I got back to my flat, Lauren and I talked about politics for about 30 minutes. It was an enlightening conversation. We talked about how many politicians today seem to want bipartisanship, yet no one upholds it. Many people are one-sided and don’t respect people who have different ideas than them. As I’ve said before, although I am very one way, I am open to all ideas. I hold my values steadfast, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like people who don’t agree with me. Passion is a blessing but it can also cause destruction.

To calm my anxious self down, I watched an old Colbert Report. I set my alarm for 5 to see if I should smile or cry. My phone went off around 5 and I logged onto my computer to see who won. I was able to smile. Then I realized that it wasn’t my alarm that went off, but someone had called me., my mom. I called back and my mom told me that my sister wanted my mom to tell me that Obama had won. I thought that was so cute. I remember how thrilled my sister was when Obama was elected the first time. It was adorable, I started to tear up.

The next day, I received a care package from my Mom. It had my new bank card, an Obama t-shirt, Obama pins, and an ipod nano my dad had won at an auction. It was so sweet. I wore my Obama shirt the rest of the week.
Not my picture but it is so sweet
The weekend was pretty slow compared to the previous weekend. Sunday was Remembrance Day, for all the soldiers that have fallen in battle in Great Britain. It was so comforting to be in church that day and publicly recognize those two moments of silence. The light was shining through the stained glass, and I felt so touched. Even though Remembrance Day started after World War I, I believe the previous soldiers were just as remembered as the current soldiers. 

PS. Maria, I made your rice! It wasn't as good as yours but it was enough to remind me of home :D

No comments:

Post a Comment