Thursday, September 27, 2012

An officially initiated UK Fresher

This week has been ok, aside from the fact that I have a terrible cold! At University, it is known as the fresher's cold. I guess its known as the freshers cold because it is the first time the first years are living with other people so the spread of sickness is inevitable. The cold began in my flat about a week ago but I believed I wouldn't get it because I have already grown accustomed living with a bunch of people (I'm a third year) and I have worked with small children who you can catch anything from. However i was wrong.

The freshers cold starts off with a runny noise, sore bones, and chesty cough. As soon as you think you are getting better, you get ALOT worse. You get a sore throat and feel like doing nothing (This happened to me today). It is a terrible cold, but I guess it is sort of an initiation into University. But I wish it would go away, because I am going to Brussels tomorrow!!!

Going to Belgium was kind of a spur of the moment decision. My friends from DU and I were trying to go to the Isle of Skye (in the highlands of Scotland), but were to late getting tickets at the international club. So my friends decided to go to Belgium (I am not sure why Belgium) and I decided to tag along. It was not one of my original travel destinations, however, I am excited to experience a different city and get to eat Belgian waffles and chocolate. 

To be honest, I originally didn't want to travel that much, and that is still my plan. As of now, I plan on going to Belgium, the Highlands, Ireland, Wales, and Poland or Berlin. I am not sure if they will all work out but we will see. I really just want to experience the UK as a whole, and more specifically Scotland. I would hate to come away from this experience without having a greater appreciation of where I am living. 

Anyway, I hope this cold gets better by tomorrow. I have already taken a nap today, which is not normal for me. I'll be back really late on Sunday, so hopefully I will be awake enough for class at 11 the next morning. I hope to take lots of pictures and upload a blogpost when I get back. Until then :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment