Monday, September 24, 2012

Perspective

Last week started off pretty well. I finally got my ID after much financial struggle and my classes were good. One day last week (I can't remember when) my flatmates and I  went to awesome bar called The Bookshop. No, they don't sell books there. It's a huge but really chic bar with a dj, old nintendo games, and ping pong. It was a lot of fun.

Thursday was fun too.eFirst, my DU friends and I went to the city centre (the main shopping area), and went to Primark. They had to go to their bagpiping lesson but I did a lot of window shopping and got two really cute skirts on sale from H&M. When I got back to my flat, most of my flatmates and I just hung out. We did attempt to go to a party but it was kind of a dud, so we just came back to the flat and hung out. I was a little concerned about my flatmates, because they are 18 and they drink like Scots (rightfully so I might add), but they knew what they were doing. So after having a good week, I would have a fabulous weekend.

But that was proven false by Friday. I had the worst luck Friday evening. Essentially, I was supposed to meet Ivan and Abbie at 7:30 for an 8 o'clock movie but I thought I was supposed to meet them at 8. I was already running late to meet another friend who was coming along, so I grabbed my water, threw it in my purse and headed to the subway. Once I realized that I had screwed up the movie time, I felt so bad but we headed to the movie anyway. As we started walking, however, I felt my bag leaking. I hadn't closed my water bottle and it all spilled at the bottom of my purse! I grabbed my phones, camera, and ipod out of there as fast as I could but it was no use. Even though my iphone was in an otterbox, it still got water on it. My phone would turn on but the screen said no sim card (even though there was one). So I turned my phone off and it hasn't turned back on since. I actually have dropped my phone in the toilet, and have saved it, thanks to my sorority sister Emma, by putting it in rice. However, going to the movies, I didn't have any rice on hand so I couldn't dry it out. If anyone has ever had this problem, how did you fix it? My ipod is dead but it was dead a long time ago. It's just so hard not to have my usual iphone so I can contact home if I need to, you know?

A glimpse of the many things I am thankful for

 


  














But yesterday/today, I kind of put things in perspective. What I mean is, I realized that losing my phone wasn't the end of the world. I learned this because yesterday my mom told me my grandfather was in the hospital because he got a pacemaker. I was shocked to hear this but glad that I heard he was doing fine. I also learned that it is typical for older people to get pacemakers and that he could have many happy years ahead of him. However, it still upset me terribly. I wish I was closer to home and could visit him in the hospital. I also put my life in perspective because I watched the episode of How I Met Your Mother where Marshall's dad dies. I know it sounds stupid but today it just hit me that, although I am experience change and minor hardships while abroad, my life is pretty good right now. After all, in my mind, family and friends are all that matters. Not material possessions, like an iphone. If there was a fire and I could only grab a couple of things (yes I can't chose only one), I would grab my pictures, journals, and Marley dog (stuffed animal). End of story. It was that one little thing that I needed to be reminded of to put my life into perspective.

Anyway, Lauren and I saw Hope Springs. I thought it was sweet. It's about an old couple who try to add  zest back into their marriage by going to a marriage counselor. Tommy Lee Jones, Meryl Streep, and Steve Carell were in the movie. Meryl Streep's and Tommy Lee Jone's  happy scenes reminded me of my parents, so it was almost like a little taste of home. 

Saturday, I started coming down with a cold, known as the fresher's flu. It isn't that bad but I just feel achy, and have a terrible runny nose (I still have it). Anyway, I mailed in my absentee ballot that afternoon. To be honest, I was very proud of myself. I know that my voice may be very small in politics, but even the smallest voice can be heard. I felt like I was making a difference. That night, my DU friends and I planned out all of our trips we wanted to go on together. I was so grateful for this because I didn't want to travel alone. So as of now, I am planning on going to Ireland, Poland, and Wales (with my flatmate because he's from there and maybe with my family when they come).

Sunday was ok. I went to church, where the Dean said it was ok to ask questions and have doubts about the church. I would have never heard that from my church at home. Later that night, I learned that only about 1% of UK residents go to church. Being an episcopalian, I almost felt like I would be coming home in the UK, because I just assumed that all of the UK was under the Church of England. Oh well. With its grand structure and humble congregation, it's still an amazing experience going to St. Mary's Cathedral in Scotland. Last night, my junior friends (DU+Dasha) went to see my friend Katy in her musical. The Cecillian society preformed Little Shop of Horrors. The production was a 48 hour production, meaning they auditioned on Friday, rehearsed Saturday and Sunday, and preformed Sunday night. It was a great preformance. I couldn't believe they had only started rehearsing on Saturday!

Today has been ok. I woke up thinking that my education class started at 10 when it really started at 11, so I had some time to kill. My friends and I tried to get tickets to go to the Isle of Skye this weekend, but the tickets were already sold out by the time we got there. It's all good though. My friends and I were going to go to ultimate frisbee but it was to rainy and windy outside. Instead, some of us stayed in and played card games. Anyway, tomorrow is a long day. I have three classes! Write to you all again soon:D



No comments:

Post a Comment