Friday, September 14, 2012

Royal Day Out Day 3: Windsor



My mom and I really didn't have any plans for Monday but after another early morning flight we decided to go to Windsor. The guy that helped us with our train ticket wasn't very helpful and made fun of us but nonetheless we left Paddington Station and took the short train ride to Windsor.

Windsor is a picturesque British town that houses the Queens weekend home, Windsor Castle. Windsor also houses a lot of cute touristy shops and pubs. It was one of my favorite towns we went to.

Windsor Castle is, itself, a town. Many people, aside from the Royal Family, live there. It was the bigger castles we saw. We were allowed to see the Queen's staterooms and St. George's Chapel. There is so much history in St. George's Castle. For example, it is where many Kings and Queens are buried, such as the Queen's late parents.

However my favorite memorial/tomb, was Princess Charlotte's memorial. I know I wrote before that Queen Victoria was one of my favorite members of the royal family but Princess Charlotte is my favorite historical Princess. Her story is the most tragic story of a royal I have ever heard, besides Mary Queen of Scots that is. Princess Charlotte was the daughter of Prince George (later King George IV) and Princess Caroline. Like many royals, Princess Charlotte's parents did not have a happy marriage. Prince George often held his daughter captive and did not allow Charlotte to see her mother (even though he also had a bunch of mistresses like his wife). Prince George even controlled Princess Charlotte's love life. She was madly in love with a man who her father did not allow her to marry. However, her father approved of Prince Leopold of Saxe-Colburg and they did fall madly in love (yes, Queen Victoria's uncle through her mother). However, their marriage was short. Princess Charlotte had one miscarriage and when she became pregnant with another child, she was put on bed rest for most of her pregnancy. Due to the antiquated doctoral system of the time, Princess Charlotte died alongside her baby boy at the young age of 21. Prince Leopold was very torn up but eventually moved on. If Prince Charlotte and her son survived, Queen Elizabeth would only be a distant relative of the Royal family!
*Not my picture
When I saw Princess Charlotte's tomb, I was overcome with sadness. This girl had undergone such a tragic past and was not able to let her legacy live on. Now she is another forgotten royal.

My favorite happy thing to see, however, was Princess Mary's playhouse. She gave the playhouse to her mother because her mother collected dollhouses. It wasn't intended for play, but I wanted to play with it so badly! It was basically a castle doll house.

After Windsor Castle, my mom and I went to the Duchess of Cambridge (otherwise known as Catherine Middleton :D) pub. I know the name of the pub has probably nothing to do with the Duchess, but it was still fun to eat there.
I swear I wasn't being a creepy stalker. I just wanted to get a photo of their coattails!
When we arrived at Windsor, I had seen signs for Eaton, where Prince William went to school. So after dinner, my mom and I made our way to Eaton. The boys were completely ruled the town. Their uniforms were so classy. They wear tuxedos with coattails everyday, even to class? How can they concentrate in that outfit. I told my mom that I wanted to teach there and she told me that I should work somewhere in the United States. Oh well, one can dream can't they:D?

No comments:

Post a Comment