Sunday, September 2, 2012

One step at a time

The picture of the botanical gardens I promised
I promise I will stop blogging once school picks up :D

Today was amazing. I woke up to my British alarm clock on my dinky phone telling me "It's time to get up!"It made me smile because it reminded me of my mom waking me up in the morning. So I packed my backpack, put on my formal clothes, and headed to church.

Now why go to church, you ask? Although I go try to go to church every Sunday, I am not a very religious person. I can't tell you what I believe in because frankly I don't know. But I can tell you that going to church helps get my head on my shoulders. It reaffirms my morals and helps me make since of the life I lead. And whatever Episcopal Church I have gone to is always welcoming and safe. That might not be the best faith based reason but it is my reason. I wanted to go to church in Scotland to help me through this transition and because it is the birthplace of my religion (England is to be exact).
The steeple with a traditional Scotsman :)

St. Mary's Cathedral
Surprisingly, I didn't get lost walking to the Cathedral, although it did take me awhile to get there. However, I was accosted by three young men in a car on my walk. I wonder if they would've said anything if they knew where I was going. The Cathedral was so pretty. They had picturesque stained glass windows and an actual pulpit (unlike my church back home). The preacher had a deep almost majestic voice that captured the audience. The sermon was about change how fast the world has become. It reminded us to take things one step at a time and not to rush through things. To live each day as its own. I needed to hear that after getting ready to spend a semester in a completely new country.

I, like all other guests, was invited to have coffee or tea after the service. There I met this sweet old Scottish man who tried to get me to meet all the Americans in the congregation. There was a professor from California and a man from Virginia who had met his wife during her study abroad experience in Virginia. The preacher was actually from the United States as well. His daughter was getting ready to go to college in Boston. I found my own little America in Glasgow (However, it seems that Scots love American things. I have seen dominos, subway, and they sell coke products here like crazy)

Next, I went to a cute little cafe for lunch and then headed to the University's workout facility. I did get lost this time and a little old man helped me find my way. He told me that if I got lost again to just ask someone. Glasgow is really one of the nicest cities I've ever been too. 

After my workout, I walked around campus a little bit. It is so beautiful. Everything is made of stone with pretty green grass. It kind of reminded me of my dad's alma mater, Columbia. 

University of Glasgow

When I got back to my dorm I met one of my flatmates. He is from Holland and is a freshman. I couldn't really talk to him because I was carrying groceries. I hope he doesn't think I'm mean. I haven't seen him since then. 

Tonight I went to get chinese food at a little whole in the wall place right next to my dorm. No one else was really there, but it was good. It reminded me of Jason's Thai back at school, which made me miss my friends there. I walked back to my dorm and I have been writing ever since. Orientation starts tomorrow so hopefully I will be preoccupied :). Ta ta for now.

1 comment:

  1. Why would you promise to stop blogging--keep blogging!! And I'm totally with you on the religion front--it's wonderful to have something solid to stand on, especially when you're making that crazy transition

    ReplyDelete