Thursday, September 13, 2012

Royal Day Out 1

One of the views from my train windows
On Saturday I took the train to London to meet my mom, who was flying in all the way from Dallas. My train ride went pretty smoothly. I couldn't stop looking out the window at the beautiful British countryside.

Once I arrived at my hotel, my mom wasn't there yet so I did a little shopping on Oxford street. I went to Primark and it was crazy. Primark is a British superstore, kind of like Macy's or Dillards. There were so many people there that I was so overwhelmed. I bought a few things but left as fast as I could.

My mom hadn't called me yet and I was worried so I went back to my hotel and had lunch. Just as I was about to panic, my mom came in. Her phone wasn't working and that's why I couldn't reach her. I was so thankful to see her.

After lunch we went to Kensington Palace, the place where Queen Victoria was raised and where William and Kate will live next year. It was so AMAZING. Just to warn you, Queen Victoria is one of my favorite royals. People misunderstand her. They only remember her as the grumpy, old, fat woman who was morning the loss of her husband. But I remember a young girl who had to take over the British throne at a very young age and who had a fairytale romance with Prince Albert (who unfortunately died at a very young age).

In Front of Kensington
So you can imagine my excitement when I stepped into the Palace. When my mom and I walked by the front gate, we paused for a moment to see the flowers and letters left for the 15th anniversary of Princess Diana's death. It was very solemn. It was so powerful that people could still celebrate the philanthropic and caring Princess even 15 years after she passed.

There are three exhibits in Kensington Palace. First, we took a tour of Princess Diana's dresses. It was kind of a let down because there were only about 4 dresses but it was amazing to see the fashion icon's real dresses. Next, we took a tour of the King's magnificent quarters. Last we took the Queen Victoria tour (we didn't go to the last exhibit).
Queen Victoria's Table
The exhibit was outstanding. I will give you a brief early history on the then Princess Victoria. Princess Victoria was born to King Edward and Princess Victoria of Saxe-Colburg. Unfortunately, her father died when she was very young so she was raised by her mother and her mother's sly advisor, John Conrad. Both people took advantage of Queen Victoria and tried to control her as much as possible. As I said before, Queen Victoria became Queen of Great Britain at the age of 18. She was finally set free of her mother and Conrad. She then married Prince Albert and had 9 children. Sadly, Prince Albert died at the age of 42. Victoria was so in love with him, that she morned his death until her own. This annoyed the British citizens, because she would not do some of her official duties. However, to me she will be remembered as the young girl that loved her husband and her country with all her heart.
Prince Albert and I
I was able to see her mourning dress (that has turned brown now), her wedding dress, her dolls, and the table where she did her first official business in the day she was crowned queen. I had read about her but actually being there brought the whole thing to life. It was mind blowing.
My curtsy to Queen Victoria
After the exhibit we walked through Hyde Park, a beautiful park right outside of Kensington. It reminded me of the setting of Emily Giffin's novel Something Blue. Once we got back to the hotel, we went to dinner at this amazing chinese food place, Royal China. Even though I've only been away for about two weeks, it was so good to get to catch up with my mom. Day one complete :D

No comments:

Post a Comment