Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The American way to living like a fresher

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I haven't blogged in awhile!

So last wednesday my mom went to the airport and I took the train to back to Glasgow. It was the weirdest feeling, but I was excited to come back. I was eager for classes to start. I decided not to take a cab from the train station, so with my oversized backpack strapped on my back, I took the subway back to the closest station to the university and walked the rest of the way. It was an epic scene.

That night, I met some friends and we attempted to go to the headphone disco. See, I had to buy a freshers pass that would allow me go to all the freshman events, including the headphone disco. Of course, I didn't buy one because I was traveling most of the week so I didn't get one. When we got to the party, I couldn't get in. It was ok though. One of my friend's Scottish roommate, Greg, was kind enough to walk me back to my room.

By Thursday, the freshers had already moved into my dorm, so that morning, I was nervous to get up and meet them. One of my roommates, Braum, was eating breakfast with another guy, Calum. From there I met so many people. Here is a list of my roommates.

Braum- The first person I met because we are both international students and we had to go to international orientation (He's from Holland). The first time I met him, I wasn't able to talk to him for too long because I was carrying a lot of groceries. Now we talk a lot more.

Julie- She is my next door neighbor and is so sweet and down to earth. She and I met the Friday before I left. She is an actress (in French films, she's french) is studying drama and music. She has really frizzy blonde hair.

Stewart- I met Stewart the day he moved in but I don't know if he remembers, because that was the Friday before I left as well. He is a stud and has a twin brother. He is also really nice but not as talkative as the rest of them. He is from Edinburgh

Sorcha- She likes to party but is so sweet.  She is Northern Irish. She and Stewart are together. They are seriously the cutest and most perfect couple. Her brother goes to NYU, so see has been to the United States. When she and Stewart are partying, she always tells me that they want to visit me in Texas or New York

Calum- Calum is 17! He is so talkative and sweet, just like I have been saying about all of my roommates. Because he is the same age as my friend Jackson, he fills the youthful friend gap I have been feeling while I am over here. I feel almost like a guardian for him because he is so young. Calum is also from Edinburgh.

Cal- Cal is the one that brings the group together. He is ver flamboyant,  talkative,  and is always up to hang out with anyone. He loves Ed Sheran. Cal is from Wales

Reese- Reese is a very manly Scot but sweet at the same time. He likes blood and gore (he tried to get us to watch Clockwork Orange. He said it wasn't that bad...) but you can tell that he has a good heart.

John- Unconciously, I want to call John, Ron (Weasly), because he is Scottish and has red hair. He is  kind of the Jerry of the group (Parks and Rec reference) but he means well.

Eve- Eve is from Scotland. She is seriously the sweetest person ever. I haven't spent as much time with her as the others because she has been traveling.

Lily- Lily lived in Spain but she's from England. She is talkative and is always up for a party, but she is also very sweet.

Andreas- Andreas is from Cyrus, Greece. I don't see him a lot but I would love to talk to him more. He is very quiet, I suspect because of the language barrier, but is nice.

That's my flat and I love all of them! We've been hanging out a lot. On Friday, Cal bought a cheap drinking game and we played that and truth or dare. The next day, we did exactly the same thing. I had to do some funny dares for people. I had to style Calum's hair (fohawk with his initials with spray paint)  and get a piggy back ride from him (His dare was to pick the person sitting next to him up. I don't know if it was supposed to be literal or figuratively but I like his way). We all had to hide from Stewart until he found someone or after 15 minutes. Sorcha had to call her friend and act like she was kidnapped. It was a crazy night. Then, we tried to go to a freshers party but the doors closed. It was all good. I had had a goodnight.

On Sunday, I had dinner with two of Edie's (my big in my sorority) old flatmates, Ivan and David. I had met Ivan before but I had never met David. He is from London. Abbie, Ivan and my mutual friend, David's girlfriend, and her friend all had dinner in their flat. All of them were so nice. They all seemed really interested in America and were really nice about answering all of my questions about Scottish culture.

All this week I have had lectures. (Lectures are hour long classes here in the UK. On top of that, you have to take a tutorial for your classes, another hour, that are the discussion part of the class). My first lecture was a little weird. I pratically ran across campus to make it there, and only two other girls were in the classroom. It was only until after my class that I realized that I have a University of Glasgow email account and class had been cancelled that week. Next, I had Celtic studies. My friend Amanda is in that class and it is really interesting. On Tuesdays I have my history class, Scottish Milineum. Oddly, a lot of people I know are in my class. Ironically, one of the professors of the class is from North Dakota. And once every two weeks I have my Scottish Culture class. I really liked it today. We learned about the creation of the Scottish language (Scots used to  speak a type of language named Scots, derived from english. There are still remnants of it in Scottish language today).

All in all, I have been well. I have had one minor difficulty, however. For some reason I was not fully registered because the financial office had not gotten a chance to read my scholarship letter! I was so frustrated! I couldn't even check a book out of the library! It was very annoying. Thank God I could get a gym membership.

This week had been very busy. On Monday my friend Lauren came over to meet my flat (She lives in a flat with all international people and she wanted to meet some British people). We got to watch a real football (soccer game)! Then yesterday, a couple of friends and I went to an international party to get free pizza and hang out. Other than that, I have just been getting to know my flatmates.  They really like How I Met Your Mother :D. Today at dinner ( I have become quite the chef by the way :P) a couple of us played monkey in the middle (here they call it piggie in the middle). I've learned many new words (Dodgey, meaning sketchy) and so far, have had a great time.

Unfortunately, I have not been in touch as much as I would like to with my friends from DU or home. If you are reading this, skype date soon? I promise I will get on a regular schedule. The time difference is so challenging though.

Lastly, I will try to blog more on a regular basis. Ta-ta for now








No comments:

Post a Comment