Saturday, September 1, 2012

They don't have gardens like this in the United States

So I made plans last night to meet up with a friend from DU around 11 but I overslept! I  felt so bad. I hate jet lag! Thankfully she understood and we ended up meeting at the botanical gardens around 1. It was hard to meet up without a phone but we found each other and walked around byres street. 

Byres street is so cool! It's a street filled with little cute Scottish shops. It reminded me of the streets of New York, but in Scotland of course:). We stopped in a little cafe and I had my first fish and chips and an Irn Bru. (For those of you who don't know irn bru is a Scottish soft drink everyone likes here. It kind of tastes like a Big Red or a creamy orange soda.) Then we headed through the botanical gardens to get to Tesco (a UK version of Target or Walmart).

Walking through the gardens are beautiful! There was a creek that ran through a beautiful stone bridge. I regret not taking pictures but I'm hope I will be there again.  We got lost but this nice lady helped us. She was from India and told us all about Scotland. We walked for about twenty minutes but we made it to Tesco.

I only bought the essentials: a laundry basket, a recycle bin, plates, etc... I thought I had done a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I forgot that we had walked and I had to carry it all back to my dorm. It was a difficult walk and my recycling bin cracked but I made it back to my dorm. Although the walk was hard, it was another beautiful walk and I needed these things. My room finally looks like a room. Here are a few pictures.
My Dorm
My Desk
I also have a community kitchen and a community bathroom, toilet and shower in my flat. It's kind of like a suite back in the US. I like it but it's not the nicest dorm because I am in the freshman dorm. I just keep reminding myself that William and Kate must have had dorms like this their first year at St. Andrews, maybe. It will be better once people show up. Write later :D


1 comment: