Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Stripping the Willow

My School for the Next Three Months
Yesterday started the beginning of orientation. I woke up and met friends that I have through mutual friends and we walked over to orientation together. The University shoved us all into a big lecture hall and talked to us about everything we needed to know from 9-12, with a break of course. It wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't so hot! However they apologized for the heat and said that they couldn't do anything about it.

Then a couple other DU students, two other friends, and I got lunch at a cute little crepe place right next to the university. Then we had a couple of boring orientation activities to do but I did run into one of my friends who lived in the same hall as I did freshman year. It was nice to see a familiar face :).

Last night, my friends and I also went to the international student social. It was amazing. Because the drinking age is 18 in the United Kingdom, they gave us a ticket to get a free drink at the bar and I just felt like I had to get one :D. The highlight of the evening, however, was the Scottish Dancing, which involves a lot of hopping and twirling around. I got very dizzy a couple of times. All the dances were fun but the "Stripped Willow" made me laugh the most because I could not get it down. (It sounds a lot easier than it looks).

This is a little bit like a Scottish Dance, but without all the footwork

After the dancing, they served a buffet. Unfortunately, it was certainly not enough to feed all of us, so my friends and I went looking for a little place to eat. We found this place called The Basement and decided to try it.

It was the coolest bar! It was small though and we couldn't find a seat. This James Mcavoy look-a-like (which is funny because he is actually Scottish) invited us to sit with us and his girlfriend. We decided "Why not?". Little did we know that Monday night is trivia night. They asked questions from the royal family (which I got right by the way) to American movie stars. They even made fun of One Direction (Leah). It was the best night. Chilling with a cute Scottish couple and making new friends it was the best!

Today, sadly, was not as fun. I forgot how stressful the actual class part of school actually is. Why do they make signing up for classes so hard and confusing. I just want to do what I want to do! Not to mention I woke up late again today. What is wrong with me?!!!? I am always a diligent student. What have I become? I am seriously worried! Then, I didn't get to go on my campus tour because I got lost trying to get to the building we meet at. Although it was a difficult day I did get to ride the subway and go downtown to the pound store. But it is days like these where I wish I could use my iphone, have wifi in my room, and be with my family. On a positive note, I get to tour a castle tomorrow! Until next time -Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment